Even if it’s not cold outside yet, it’s time to get ready for the day when the temperature falls.
Here are five fall jobs that will prepare your home for cold weather:
- Caulk windows and doors, even if you did it last fall. Cracks in old caulk can let cold air in and warm air out.
- Reverse the direction of ceiling fan blades so they circulate clockwise.
- Get your chimney inspected and cleaned if you plan to burn wood this season. Buildup of creosote can cause a chimney fire.
- Call an HVAC tech to inspect your central heating system, perform maintenance and do any needed repairs so you don’t lose heat once it gets cold.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors before heating season begins.